A new whetstone knife sharpener from Wusthof Trident in Germany. A traditional method of sharpening knives it is preferred by many over a knife sharpener. Whetstones do require more time and a little more skill to use however.
The whetstone comes in a handy wooden storage box which keeps everything nice and tidy.
Double sided, grits 400 and 2000 (Japanese Industrial Standard).
Size 15cm x 5cm x 2.5cm
How to use the Wüsthof whetstone:
- Submerge the stone in water for about 5 - 10 minutes.
- Continue to apply water while sharpening. The stone releases small particles during the sharpening process. This powder in combination with water allows the sharpening.
- Place the stone on a slip-resistant base like a towel.
- Start by using the coarse grit of the stone.
- Move the blade back and forth at an angle of 10 - 15° using gentle pressure.
- Start at the tip of the blade, continue with the middle section, and finish at the end of the blade. After a while you will notice a small burr at the edge.
- Now repeat the same process on the other side of the blade.
- Finally, turn the stone over and repeat the procedure, this time using the fine grit of the stone.
- In order to remove the remaining burr, pull the blade at an angle over the stone. Now you will have achieved the best sharpness.
- Rinse the stone and clean off the grinding residue. Clean your knife with hot water.